Sunday, March 22, 2009

Mechanics-R-Us

So I take the truck in for oil change and tire rotation, no biggee. I tell him pure synthetic oil as he put synthetic blend on the ticket. Told me, "The blend is what is recommended for your vehicle". Last time I took my truck to 2 places and they both told me the blend is not recommended. Whatever. I want the pure and he obliged.

I asked for a price to change the spark plugs and after punching a few keys he replied "about $325". Ex-squeeze me? Baking powder? Seems there is more labor on the Ford trucks because they don't have a distributor cap, blah blah blah. I don't buy his story pass on the plugs, whatever. I talked to a buddy later and he confirmed they don't have a distributor cap but there really isn't any extra labor. I'll tackle that job myself.

So we're leaving Putt-Putt and the station calls. They say a battery cable is corroded and it needs to be cleaned, $12.99. I ask how much to replace it. I had the battery changed in October (different place) and they told me the same thing, cleaned the cable and I was on my merry way. This guy says they just sprayed some stuff on the cable, didn't clean it. Who do you believe? Anywho, after being put on hold he picks back up and tells me that I don't need them replaced, just cleaned. I know, I heard you the first time. Maybe there is a problem with the cable and I'd prefer to have it replaced. So I didn't want to argue, just told him to clean it.

I go pick it up and as always they have a recommendation on maintenance that really should be done today. If not today, as soon as you can. I was surprised that everything cost what they said it would but had the extra $511 of recommended maintenance on page 2. I started going to this place because I felt they were more honest and had better pricing than others. Why the quick turn around? Are they starving for business? Is there a lack of training? Knowledge?

Did I mention that the tire rotation was free since I purchased the tires there? Odd that their system didn't show that I purchased them there. I told him when it was and that "Firestone" was on the tire. He didn't charge me but mentioned that I should bring my receipt next time to ensure I don't get charged. Oh, I'm getting charged...wait a minute.

1 comment:

Greg said...

Hey,
I might be able to help you with some Synthetic Oil information.
go to www.SyntheticOilEvolution.com/free and sign up for my FREE 20 video series on "Questions people have asked about synthetic oil."
It is packed with good information.
Greg