Sunday, March 29, 2009

Because You Asked for It


Here's how things went yesterday. First a timeline:

6:15 Arrive at the 428 area, sign in and get all our stuff, including long sleeve t-shirt that will come in handy later. Yes, it's snowing.
6:30ish Partner shows up and we get everything set in our area just missing the first shuttle run.
7:00 Shuttle bus takes us to the 455 start line where there are dozens of canoes awaiting the 91 teams. We muddle around, get our life jackets and paddles then select a canoe.
7:30ish Our heat consists of three 2-man teams one of who I know.
7:35ish We're on our way.

There are several other little details in that first hour but none really worth mentioning other than hearing our team name on the megaphone. Funny. BTW, we chose "That's What She Said". I received shirts from Amazon on Friday so that was cool too.

I had two goals. First, finish the event. I've been working towards this for a few months as a method to get in shape so finishing would kind of legitimize the miles I've put on the bike and running shoes. Second, don't fall in. This is pretty obvious since it's 35 degrees outside. Plus all the pictures from last year that show people underwater...let's just say I had a few laughs.

We are moving along pretty well down the river, even passing one or two other groups. I wondered out loud how much further and another contestant said, "I don't think we're quite half way". Wow. There were several obstacles, low water levels, rocks, etc. but we were navigating them pretty well.

Shortly after the half way point there was an obstacle, then a sharp turn to the left and the current was pushing us to the right. We both started paddling on the left and with the weight from both of us on that side, well, we tipped. F'in cold at first. I think we both submerged but kept our paddles and canoe. It was very difficult getting the canoe tipped over and after about 5 minutes we manager to get going again. I was more shocked that pissed. Goal number 2: FAILED

We kept going and were navigating the course at a more cautious pace. We were getting passed by a few but still managed to keep up with the main group we started with. There were a few places that were only wide enough for a canoe and several tree branches that we had to duck or bob one way or the other. That's how the second dip in the pool happened. I think the canoe got stuck on the branch as we were ducking, there was another canoe hitting us in the rear and we just tipped. Still not sure what really happened. We were in shallow water (2 ft.) but it was still cold. Goal number 2: FAILED AGAIN

It was another 20-30 minutes to the end of the line and when we got there we carried our canoe up the bank and about 20 concrete steps. That was not easy. We were drenched and the bank was nothing but mud. About half way up the stairs some of the Parks and Rec people were helping everyone out, thank god.

We headed to our staging area where I grabbed my duffel bag and went to the restroom and changed. It took about 10 minutes because the clothes were just clinging to my body. I was wearing: shorts, running pants, lined wind breaker pants, t-shirt, 2 long sleeve t-shirts, team name t-shirt, windbreaker, sideline jacket from football team in Jal, NM. New gear included: two long sleeve shirts, team name t-shirt (wasn't that wet), shorts, fleece sweats. I also had two extra pairs of socks and my running shoes. The main problem was I didn't bring any extra under garment. Nothing warmed up the rest of the event...if you know what I mean.

We met back at the running area and took off walking to hopefully get some circulation going. After a couple hundred yards I told my partner I was gone. "I'll catch up to you in a bit." After the 1.25 turn around area, I started looking for him assuming he would be right behind. I can't remember where I was but I did pass him and we high-fived. At the finish line they called our current time but I don't remember what it was. I was surprised that I was able to complete the 2.5 miles without stopping.

My wife was there and came to see how we were doing. I was probably rude to her as I was cold and still wet in some places. The last part, biking 12 mi. was actually the easiest part. I did not wait for my teammate but knew we had to finish together. I wanted to keep moving. For the first 2 or 3 miles I saw very few teams. Things started picking up and I was passing a few occasional bikers but nothing significant. I remember shortly past mile 4 seeing a few of the younger more athletic and gung-ho teams coming the other direction but wasn't discouraged. Figured if I just kept a good even pace we would be fine.

After the turn around I started passing more groups and that was encouraging. However, I still had not passed my teammate. Not sure how far he had come but I remembered one gentleman that was extremely slow and figured he would surely get past him. There he was at the 8 mile mark, coming the other direction. Not my teammate, the other guy. At that point I figured he was not coming so I kicked in up a notch. Now I'm not bragging here and remember the teams have to finish together so there's a handicap there. But in that last 4 miles I estimate passing 20-25 people. The last 2 miles was brutal into the wind with no protection from the trees. But the most important thing was Goal 1: NOT FAILED

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job dear!

Anonymous said...

You tipped twice? Man, that had to suck!


Good job man!
Joey