Sunday, March 1, 2009

I Heart My Kids


Notice the word "My" in the title. Last night my oldest son had a couple of friends over to play videos games, etc. so the youngest was exiled to the living room with the parents. Oh no. We queued up "Wall-E" on the VOD (greatness btw) to make sure he would be happy. The movie was good and he was totally into it. Earlier in the day we watched "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and he was into it also. Just spending some time with him without arguing, fighting, whatever was so good for me. Times like that are the ones I should remember instead of the talking back, forging teacher's names on letters home, running in the house, and/or throwing Legos at each other.

The middle child and I went to baseball practice early and I did some soft toss with him. He gets this little grin on his face that is...well...precious. Usually when he wants to laugh but doesn't want anyone to know. Anyway, we had a good time freezing our tails off, and practice went on for about and hour and a half. We talked, mostly about baseball, and seemed to enjoy each other's company. He told me he didn't really learn anything at practice and I was pretty quick to correct him. You might have seen or done all of the drills before but paying attention to details and fundamentals will improve you more. He kinda grinned and said something like, "yeah I guess so" but with that same little grin. Gotta love it.

Zach is the oldest and youngest at the same time. We get along okay but we have the typical teenager vs. adult conversations. When he wants or needs something it's very easy to get him to do his chores or help me with something. Since he had friends coming over, he was to help me get his room cleaned. Usually we have to tell him 2 or 3 times to do something but yesterday, once. Greatness. We never really had a bonding moment or anything like that but just the cooperation and willingness to help means a lot. Just like everyone else is asking right now, "Why can't you be like that all the time"?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have wonderful kids. It is important to recognize the point where you've taught them everything they know and that they must make mistakes on their own. If you continue to guide them past this point you hamper their creativity, initiative and the positive impact of negative outcomes. Every single event has a differnt "let go" point. Know when to stop and not be critical because they must learn on their own at some point, much like all of us.