Friday, January 23, 2009

And still a long time

I got a few things done today that were not on my list but are more of a daily thing. You know, dishes, laundry, grocery store. I did however, have the time to put the side fire box on my new smoker (thanks Santa). It took about 35 minutes and the 13 steps in the instructions could have been reduced to 4. I don't like it when the instructions include "Place band aid on cut before curse word, after dripping blood has stopped". I actually came away without incident or curse words. Could be a first while working with metal with sharp edges.

So anyway, things are going well with the patient, she is in and out of sleep thanks to medication. I have emptied her drain tubes 3 times...gross. It's really only gross when I empty them, not the contents. I mean yeah, if you think about it, it's gross but just don't think about it...right? You know those bulbs that are used on babies to suck out the nose stuff? There's basically two of them, one on each side. That's all I've got to say about that. All's fair in love and surgery.

I expected her to be in more pain than she is and I didn't expect her to be this conscious. She's doing great. Thanks to all of you that have sent text messages, emails, cards or phoned. I have relayed all of them to her including the wonderful "You suck"one. FUBAR...and you are.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I missed it...what is going on with your wife? I can tell she is doing fine but what happened?
JDHTEACH

Anonymous said...

A new smoker...let me know when you use it as I'd love to be the sample your cooking. ~Stu